Wednesday, January 09, 2008

This is your brain on science

Let's start this post with a question.

Let's make it fun and do multiple choice.

So, I tell you I've found a way to make science fun.

What do you proceed to do?
a.) tar and feather me and toss my sorry ass into the next county over
b.) sew stones into my dress and toss me into the river! If I float I'm a witch!
c.) convict me of heresy like Joan of Arc, stake-style
d.)blast my booty into outer space
OR--
e.) Be like "That's really interesting Kit Steinkellner, tell me more."
If you answered a-d, then you can go to hell and die.

If you answered e-- then read on, homeslice, read on.

So everyone that knows me knows that I'm a podcast whore.  Before podcasts, "radio" for me meant Top-20 and Soft Rock (shudder, shudder, shudder). But then podcasts introduced me to  a completely new way learning and enriching my brain and I have never gone back. I am a radio slut and I am not ashamed to playfully use derrogatory, misogynist words to convey my love of the auditory art form. So I'm listening to my all-time-favorite-ever-so-good-the-best radio show, "This American Life" and the host Ira Glass (on whom I have the biggest radio crush known to man)-- announces that one of the segments of that episode of "This American Life" is going to be from--- another radio show?

What? Well okay, Ira Glass, I'll go along with these shenana-nanigans, but only because I have such a huge radio crush on you.

So they play a clip from this radio show called "Radio Lab", the particular clip being about the biology of morality.

And I was like, "Holymolyohmyfrickingword I have to go download all the podcasts of Radio Lab right, right now!"

And I did.

Oh my God, you guys, Radio Lab, oh my God.
So here's the lowdown on my tied for first favorite radio program (this tie goes seven ways, mind you, but still).  Radio Lab is an approximately one hour program that makes science fun. Keep your stones, stakes, and burning things away from me, hear me out. The program takes everyday concepts like stress, sleep, time, morality, and mortality, and anecdotally breaks down the science in a really, really super fascinating and accessible manner. Radio Lab is a radio show that documents the what goes on in your brain goes when you're in love, the psychology of crowds, the invention of modern zoos, how nightmares are actually a biological response,why women take so long to stop being mad after an argument, and the one chemical that could possible keep you alive forever if it wasn't carcinogenic.
Cool right? I know. But guess what? All this fascinating stuff is science! And the way these anecdotes are told, they are really easy to remember and can be pulled out at parties or other occasions/social functions where you desperately need to convince people that you are smarter than you actually are. If this radio program were a boy I would cuddle with it all Sunday morning long-- love the lab.

Radio Lab is also fun in that it has two hosts- my other six favorite radio shows just have one. And Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich have a really fun on-air relationship-- both are intelligent, engaging hosts, but Krulwich(left) skews slightly by-the-book smarty pants whereas Abumrad (right) leans just a little bit this way towards rogue renegade.

And yes I have radio crushes on both of them.

You totally do too. Look at these cuties! Cutie Booties!

Radio Lab, you guys. Like everything I recommend for you all here-- super smart, super fun, super worthwhile, will super make you a better person. Download off of Itunes or at their website radiolab.org. And like all podcasts it's free, free I tell you! Mwah ha ha ha---(maniacal laughter fades out)

You guys are great. All two of you that are reading.  Until next time, I am, as always--
Affectionately,
Kit Steinkellner