I was reading Marcel Proust's "Swann's Way" this past summer, ( I know, I know, I'm the most pretentious person there ever was, get over it) and I came across a quote I like a lot.
"We are very slow to recognize in the particular physiognomy [ appearance] of a new artist the model which is labeled "great talent" in our museum of general ideas. Simply, because that physiognomy is new and strange, we can find in it no resemblance to what we are accustomed to call talent. We say rather originality, charm, delicacy, strength; and then one day we realize that it is precisely all this that adds up to talent."
Most of my friends are artists, and as such encounter a fair amount of rejection. Most of my friends that aren't artists encounter some rejection as well. Rejection in any form hurts like a bitch. I know people get down on themselves a lot and wonder if they're ever going to make it. I know I wonder about this constantly.
Just hold on to what your friend Marcel Proust told you--- one day they will see all your originality, charm, delicacy, and strength-- and that is when they will recognize your talent.
And then you will get to quit your day job.
Hooray!
Just keep slugging, kids.
And always remember-- Proust knows the score.

A picture of Marcel Proust thinking very important and meaningful thoughts.
Back soon (probably tomorrow) with something else that will make you a smarter, better person. Until then, I am, of course...
Affectionately yours,
Kit Steinkellner