Sunday, January 20, 2008

Persepolis--- but this time the book

So my dad (who is a rockstar in the parenting department, as is my mom, but right now we're focusing on my dad) did something really nice for me the other day. He read my blog where I wrote about how much I loved "Persepolis" the film. So he went and bought me the book as a sort of "Happy Thursday" present. I was so excited. 

Then I started reading it.

Then I got even more excited.

You guys, remember how I said all those great things about "Persepolis" the movie? "The Complete Persepolis" (Part I and II of the graphic novel) is ALL that and MORE! MORE  wonderfully told vignettey-stories, MORE fascinating looks into world politics, MORE human insights, MORE stunning, stunning artwork. There are pictures in this book that bring the biggest lump in my throat, a lump that for your information absolutely does turn to tears. Marjane Satrapi is just the most masterful master of balance. The spectacular way Satrapi employs give and take between text and visuals makes me kind of wish all novels were graphic. Or at least more. And oh my God, the way she seamlessly wove in the comedy and tragedy as well as the political and the personal into this masterpiece of a book -she's just so brilliant. It is ridiculous how brilliant Marjane Satrapi is.

So if you liked the movie and you want MORE--get "Persepolis" the book. If you don't live in one of the two and a half cities in this country currently screening the film, get the book. If you want to read a great book, get the book. If you are a human being, get the book.

I realized this post needed visuals , so these are pictures of me loving the book.

This is me cuddling with "Persepolis".


This is me using "Persepolis" as a pillow.
This is me kissing the book very lovingly on its' spine.
And this is me almost eating the book it's so good, but the I remember that if I eat it I won't have it to read anymore.
So I go back to just loving it again.

So I'm finishing up a few books now, checking off some movies on my "to see" list, getting literate on a few new radio shows, all of which is to say I have many, many more wonderful things to recommend in the near future. So busy as I will be between grad school, odds and ends jobs, all my billion creative projects outside of school, I will keep this blog in top shape, because, as you know, I am....
Affectionately Yours,
Kit Steinkellner

PS. Thanks again, Dad. As you can probably tell from the post, I really liked the book a lot!