I'm actually really excited because over the last few weeks I've fallen in love with this KCRW radio program/podcast and have been dying to share it with blogreaders and anyone that will listen.
"The Treatment" hosted by Elvis Mitchell. Sweet graphic below.
"The Treatment" is essentially Elvis Mitchell interviewing current Hollywood creative luminaries about their recent work. But guys, it's also so, so much more.But first a brief word on host Elvis Mitchell.
According to Wikipedia, Mitchell is an "African American public intellectual and former film critic for the New York Times (1998-2004)." The article talks about his freewheeling, stream-of-consciousness style of critique, makes mention of "The Treatment" as well as a film project he is working on with about race, culture, and success, with the likes of Toni Morrison, Chris Rock, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. However, nowhere in the article does the anonymous Wikipedia scribe talk about Mitchell's totally crazy hair. Nary a mention.This makes me trust Wikipedia a lot less as a source for information.
But seriously, Mitchell's hair is totally wacky, but his interviewing style is completely thoughtful and chill. He has this weird talent of almost disappearing into the interview, like we don't notice him interviewing, just the subject being interviewed. Which is crazy in a really good way. Because his questions are all really thoughtful and interesting, it's just that he so seamlessly and organically blends them into the conversation. I've been going on about this for a while, but I just think it's a really cool thing.
So onto the subjects he interviews. Check it out people. In the last few months he's interviewed...
Jason "I'm not Ivan, I'm Jason" Reitman on directing "Juno."
(Superfluous Note: Jason went to USC film school, and every time I look at a picture of him I'm like "Of course he did." And this isn't a USC diss, though as a UCLA film student I guess that would be par for the course. But it's not. JayReit just seems really freaking USC to me and I don't know why.)Nancy "Nutsiest Conceit of the Year" Oliver on writing "Lars and the Real Girl"
(Superfluous Note: Tamara Jenkins and me both like taking our pictures black and white, soft focus. I feel like I've found a kindred spirit. But seriously, it's just prettier)And Tony "Violence is the new Smart" Gilroy for writing every Bourne movie ever and writing/directing Michael Clayton.
And many, many,many more. Hearing these interviews about the respective movies is like a really fun Sparknotes for said films. How did the Coen brothers adapt Javier Bardem's scarier-than- f*** character Chigurh from novel to film? What went on in Nancy Oliver's 7 year writing process of "Lars?" How did Jason Reitman direct the creepiest pedo-scene of the year between Jason Bateman and Ellen Page in "Juno"? How did Tony Gilroy's vaguest pitch in the history of pitching get "Michael Clayton" made?

And many, many,many more. Hearing these interviews about the respective movies is like a really fun Sparknotes for said films. How did the Coen brothers adapt Javier Bardem's scarier-than- f*** character Chigurh from novel to film? What went on in Nancy Oliver's 7 year writing process of "Lars?" How did Jason Reitman direct the creepiest pedo-scene of the year between Jason Bateman and Ellen Page in "Juno"? How did Tony Gilroy's vaguest pitch in the history of pitching get "Michael Clayton" made?
You're going to have to listen to the podcast to find out. Bonus points for the juicy personal details that slip out every once in a while, like wunderkind Jason Reitman citing dating a 26-year-old woman when he was 16 as the reason for his early maturation/bursting onto the scene at Sundance at 19. It's really juicy. Just listen.
One half-hour podcast a week, guys,available on Itunes or KCRW.com. Recommended for film-y people, culture-y people, or just people that like listening to interesting people talk about themselves.
All right, 2 blogs in a week! This is the start of something good. Signing off for now, and though I don't have the crazy credits of aforementioned creative superstars, or the revolutionary hair of Elvis Mitchell, know that I continue and continue to be...
Affectionately Yours,
Kit Steinkellner
